In case you haven’t heard – Pinterest is the hot new social media site that everyone is joining. Because of that, businesses are starting to take an active interest in having a presence there. The question is – how can your business benefit from having a Pinterest account? I’m going to give you the answer in today’s post.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest uses a front end social bookmarking engine to allow users to find, collect, comment and share images on the platform. In other words, it’s a pinboard for all the images you like. You can collect or group these images, visit friend’s collections and browse through interesting or amusing collections by strangers.
Pinterest allows users to ‘pin’ images they like to their boards (wall). There are already thousands of blogs that have a ‘pin it’ button, so this is not a fad site. It’s made a real impression, and you can pin any image you find, or upload new ones.
Why Should My Business Use Pinterest?
Images are a powerful marketing tool – just ask the many businesses that have built a Flickr following. But Pinterest does something new. It presents us with images in a simple, fast and easy to consume manner. That’s why it works. And that’s why it’s quickly becoming a branding mecca.
Here are some superb reasons to start a Pinterest page:
• It’s a dream for small businesses and local businesses – as people are more inclined to share to small communities or groups.
• Images that get a lot of attention, trend on the platform. You’ll get millions of extra eyes as your brand images go viral – for free!
• Pinterest is a real time masterpiece. If you want stay relevant in your fans eyes, this is a great way to do it. They’ll interact in real time, for feedback and marketing research. The search engines like it too!
• Speaking of search engines, you can build image links on Pinterest – and Google just loves image links. More link juice for your website, equals higher rankings.
• Small niche brands will thrive on Pinterest. A wedding events co-ordinator will attract thousands of followers, just because they pin wedding related images all the time. This business will get way more business queries than businesses that aren’t on Pinterest. Brides love pictures!
• Pinterest will feed your other social networks and blog. Plus you’ll get more email sign ups from the traffic you source from this site. Email lists are gold!
• Use Pinterest as a direct sales tool. Small businesses will love how they can use Pinterest to promote their products. Be creative, and your products might just go viral.
These are just some of the reasons your business should think about getting a Pinterest account. Honestly, there seems to be more value here than starting a Flickr account. Get some brand and product exposure for free, and build a community of adoring word of mouth advocates. People will always share their favourite pins!
What do you think of Pinterest? Can your business benefit from it, and how? I’d like to know.